Edge have been working with secondary schools in Nottingham, Derby and the North East to give teachers the opportunity to link with local employers to form projects based around an externship day. The days were open to teachers from all subject areas - as well as there being subject specific days for mathematics, geography and; design and technology.
The aim was to give teachers an insight into the world of work and the career opportunities available in local businesses. The externships also gave teachers some practical examples of how their subject area is used in the work place. This was then followed up by students undertaking an investigation of the business, with the end product being a presentation to the employer and/or their peers. The project has been externally evaluated by the International Centre for Guidance Studies: Derby University under the title Give Yourself the Edge (GYTE).
GYTE achieved many of the programme outcomes they articulated:
- 80% of teachers surveyed agreed or strongly agreed that participating in GYTE gave them an insight into the world of work.
- Schools were able to develop or strengthen employer links.
- Students had raised aspirations; 67% of students agreed that GYTE helped them think about what they wanted to do for further learning and work. However the programme was less likely (45%) to have effected their GCSE decision making.
- Students were more aware of the types of jobs and career paths available through local employers; 84% of students reported they had learned a lot about local jobs and employers through GYTE.
- 75% of teachers surveyed were more confident about offering career advice after participating in GYTE.
- GYTE helped foster employer engagement; all employers were interested in continuing their support to both the schools and the programme .
- Stakeholders believed that GYTE could improve by 1) increasing the amount of employer engagement between pupils and employers and 2) enabling the type of placements that can help develop curriculum teaching.
You can read the full report here.
Edge will be continuing the programme of teacher externships.
If you would like to find out more please contact Helen Beardmore email HBeardmore@gmail.com