This website is owned by the Edge Foundation. Edge believes you have a right to privacy on the web, and we work to protect your security online as vigorously as possible. Edge has developed the following policy to help you understand how your personal information will be treated as you engage with us both on and off-line. Edge’s policy reflects our duties under the Data Protection Act 1988 to use information fairly, keep it secure, make sure it is accurate, and keep it up to date. Further details on the Data Protection Act can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website - www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk.
This policy applies to all pages hosted on this site and also to all other Edge owned websites except where specifically mentioned on other Edge sites. It does not apply to other organisations to which we may link and whose privacy policies may differ.
Edge may amend this policy from time to time. If Edge makes any substantial changes in the way your personal information is used we will make that information available by posting a notice on the site.
The Data Officer
1) What information does Edge collect?
2) How is your information used?
Edge may use the information gathered for the following purposes:
- To keep you up to date on the latest announcements or other information related to Edge that we think you may like to hear about and to send you communications that may be of interest to you. Edge may send this information electronically or otherwise, if you have opted-in to receive information from us
- To analyse and improve the services offered on Edge websites - e.g. to provide you with the most user friendly navigation experience.
- To track usage
- For service administration purposes, which means that Edge may contact you for reasons related to any services you may have signed up for - e.g. to notify you that a particular service may be suspended for maintenance
3) Does Edge share my information?
By providing personal information you are deemed to consent to this information being shared within Edge and being shared outside of Edge in the following circumstances:
- When Edge needs to share your information to provide the service you have requested (such as sending posters or leaflets)
- When Edge needs to send your information to companies who work on behalf of Edge to provide a service to you (we will only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose)
- When Edge is required to disclose your personal information by law in urgent circumstances, to protect personal safety, the public or our website(s)
4) How secure is the information you give to Edge?
Data collected on Edge websites is stored in controlled servers with limited access. Your information may be stored and processed in the United Kingdom where Edge or its partners are located.
5) How can you access, correct or delete your data?
At your request Edge will give you all details of personal information held by Edge, once identity has been proved. Incorrect information will be deleted or amended promptly. Edge can only accept these requests if sent by email to email@example.com, by fax to 020 7960 1557 or by post to Data Officer, Edge Foundation, 4 Millbank, Westminster, London, SW1P 3JA, specifying on which Edge-owned website your personal information has been registered. Once the request has been received Edge will take further steps to confirm identity before releasing data. Edge will endeavour to respond to requests within 28 working days unless there are exceptional circumstances when we will let you know what is happening with your request.
6) How can you opt out of receiving messages from Edge?
Edge will send you communications if you have given us permission to do so. If Edge sends you unsolicited emails, the email will enable you to register an opt-out to receiving other emails from us. If you do not wish to receive messages from Edge, please send an email asking that your contact information be removed from Edge databases to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7) Children’s privacy and website users aged 16 or under.
If you are aged 16 or under, Edge asks that you obtain your parent/guardian’s permission before providing any personal information to Edge websites. There is an option on the data capture forms on Edge websites where you can confirm this permission has been granted.
8) How long will Edge keep your personal information?
Edge will hold your personal information on our systems as long as is necessary for the relevant service you have requested, or until you inform us that you wish your information to be removed from our databases (see point 6 above).
9) Discussion boards and comments
Edge’s discussion boards are moderated and we will display your user name but not your email address. However if you post personal information within your post or comment, this information is then publicly accessible. Such information can be viewed online and collected by third parties. Edge is not responsible for the use of information by such third parties. Edge strongly recommends that all users keep their postings anonymous and you avoid sharing any personal information that can be used to identify you (such as your name, address, age, name of employer etc).
This policy was updated in August 2012.