This website (the site) is owned by the Edge Foundation. This policy explains how we use your personal information when you visit our site or when you sign up to receive email updates and information from us. It does not apply to other organisations to which Edge may link and whose privacy policies may differ.
1) On what basis does Edge collect personal information?
Personal information Edge holds about you will be collected and used either because:
- you have consented for Edge to do so for the specific purposes described in this policy;
- it is necessary in order for Edge to comply with our obligations under a contract between you and Edge;
- it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject; or
- it is necessary in pursuit of a ‘legitimate interest’, i.e. where Edge or a third party have a valid reason for using your personal information which is not overridden by your privacy.
We will only collect and use special categories of your personal information (such as information about your health) if you have given us your explicit consent.
2) What personal information does Edge collect?
Edge may collect the following personal information from you:
- Your name, title, residential address, contact address, telephone numbers, email address, social media handles, job title, the organisation you work for, photos and content you may have created or provided through your use of the site.
- Your areas of interest in our activities (e.g. research, grants, policy, training).
- Personal information you give to Edge via email, the various personal information capture forms on our site, or information voluntarily given to Edge via forms, meetings, telephone or postal mail.
- Information about any dietary requirements you have, if you are attending one of our events where catering will be provided.
- Payment information provided to enable Edge to administer any grant or other payments.
- A record of any correspondence between you and Edge.
- Replies to any surveys or questionnaires that Edge may use for research purposes.
- Details of your visits to the site, the resources and pages that you access and any searches you make.
- Any information Edge may require from you when you report a problem or complaint.
- The number of communications you make with Edge.
Edge usually collects personal information directly from you, but there may be instances when we receive personal information about you from a third party (e.g. if another organisation refers you to Edge, or if we use publicly available sources such as Companies House records to check information in connection with a grant application).
3) How is your personal information used?
Edge may use the personal information gathered for the following purposes:
- To keep you up to date on the latest announcements or other information related to Edge that you have said you want to hear about. Edge will only send this information to you by email if you have opted-in to receive it.
- To create a personalised user account for you.
- To analyse the site content or Edge services that you have shown an interest in so that we can tailor our communications to the things you are most likely to want to hear about.
- To ensure that the content of the site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device.
- To analyse and improve the services offered on the site – for example to provide you with the most user friendly navigation experience.
- To track your usage of the site.
- For service administration purposes, which means that Edge may contact you for reasons related to any events or services you may have signed up for (e.g. to notify you that a particular service may be suspended for maintenance).
- Carry out and administer any obligations arising from any agreements entered into between you and Edge.
- Assist in making general improvements to our services.
- Administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
4) Does Edge share my personal information?
Edge does not generally disclose any personal information you provide to any third parties other than as follows:
- When you give Edge permission to do so (e.g. when you consent to us sharing information about your dietary requirements with an external events venue).
- When Edge needs to send your personal information to companies who work on behalf of Edge to provide a service to you, Edge will only provide those companies the personal information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that personal information for any other purpose.
- Where personal information such as email addresses is passed to the company that hosts our website and distributes our newsletter and/or our IT support company who provides technical support and services in the provision of our website and general IT services.
- If Edge is under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example, if required to do so by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime).
- In order to enforce any terms and conditions or agreements for our services that may apply.
- Edge may transfer your personal information to a third party as part of a restructure or merger.
- To protect our rights, property and safety, or the rights, property and safety of our users or any other third parties. This includes exchanging personal information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
If Edge does supply your personal information to a third party Edge will take steps to ensure that your privacy rights are protected.
Please note that where Edge carries out research to gain an insight into the use of our services, the results of this research will be anonymised before they are shared with any interested third parties and will not contain any personal information.
Edge does not share personal information outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) unless adequate safeguarding procedures are in place.
5) How secure is the personal information you give to Edge?
Personal information collected on the site is stored in controlled servers with limited access. Your personal information may be stored and processed in the United Kingdom where Edge or its partners are located.
Edge will take all reasonable steps to ensure that appropriate technical and organisational measures are carried out in order to safeguard the personal information Edge collects from you and protect against unlawful access and accidental loss or damage. These measures may include (as necessary):
- protecting our servers by both hardware and software firewalls;
- locating our data processing storage facilities in secure locations;
- when necessary, disposing of or deleting your personal information so it is done so securely;
- regularly backing up all personal information Edge holds.
Edge will ensure that its employees are aware of their privacy and personal information security obligations. Edge will take reasonable steps to ensure that the employees of third parties working on our behalf are aware of their privacy and personal information security obligations.
This notice and our procedures for handling personal information will be reviewed as necessary.
Unfortunately, the transmission of personal information via the internet is not completely secure. Although Edge will do its best to protect your personal information, Edge cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to the site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once Edge has received your personal information, Edge will use the strict procedures and security features referred to in this clause to try to prevent unauthorised access
6) How can you opt out of receiving messages from Edge?
Edge will send you communications such as newsletters if you have given Edge permission to do so. If Edge sends you unsolicited emails, the email will enable you to register an opt-out to receiving other emails from Edge. If you no longer wish to receive emails from Edge, please contact us at email@example.com to ask us to take you off our marketing distribution list. We will keep your personal information on our marketing suppression list so that we have a record that you do not wish to receive emails from us.
7) Children’s privacy and website users under the age of 16.
If you are under the age of 16, Edge asks on the personal information capture forms that you obtain your parent/guardian’s permission before providing any personal information to the site.
8) How long will Edge keep your personal information?
Where you have given consent for Edge to have your personal information Edge shall continue to use it for that purpose for seven years from the last date on which you have interacted with us, at which point Edge will ask you again if you wish to continue your consent. If at that point you do not respond Edge will cease to use your personal information for that purpose for example emailing you our newsletter.
For any category of personal information not specifically defined in this Notice, and unless otherwise specified by applicable law, the required retention period for any personal information will be deemed to be 7 years from the date of receipt by Edge of that personal information.
The retention periods stated in this Notice can be prolonged or shortened as may be required (for example, in the event that legal proceedings apply to the personal information or if there is an on-going investigation into the personal information).
Edge reviews the personal information (and the categories of personal information) Edge holds on a regular basis to ensure the personal information Edge is holding is still relevant to our business and is accurate. If Edge discovers that certain personal information Edge is holding is no longer necessary or accurate, Edge will take reasonable steps to correct or delete this personal information as may be required.
9) Your Rights- How can you access, correct or delete your personal information?
You have a right to know about how Edge protects your personal information, (as set out in this policy).
You can also request information about the personal information Edge holds about you (a subject access request). Please contact Edge as detailed in section 11 below.
You always have the right to unsubscribe from our newsletter or withdraw your consent for any other services where Edge relies on your consent for holding your personal information.
Please let Edge know if you need to update your personal information or if the personal information Edge holds on you is incorrect.
You also have a right to restrict processing of your personal information and the right to object to your personal information being processed.
You have the right to ask Edge to stop using your personal information in certain ways (as set out in the policy).
You have the right to ask Edge to delete your personal information. Unless Edge has reasonable grounds to refuse the erasure, on receipt of such a request Edge will securely delete the personal information in question within one month. The personal information may continue to exist in certain backup, but Edge will take steps to ensure that it will not be accessible.
10) Contact Edge
If you have any questions relating to this policy or the personal information Edge holds about you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or address them to:
The Data Representative
44 Whitfield Street
If we are unable to resolve any issues you may have or you would like to make a further complaint, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office by visiting http://www.ico.org.uk/ for further assistance.
11) Changes to This Policy
Edge may amend this policy from time to time. If Edge makes any substantial changes to the way your personal information is used Edge will make you aware of this by posting a notice on the site.
Updated August 2020