Dana began her career in Education in Beirut, Lebanon as a primary school teacher teaching in the IB primary years programme. Alongside her teaching, she worked at a local NGO integrating refugees into the Lebanese curriculum. In 2014, Dana moved to the UK to pursue her Master’s degree at The University of Cambridge focusing on education policy across England and place-based education.
Subsequently she completed her PhD at the University of Edinburgh in the field of refugee education. Dana joined the Edge Research and Policy team in 2019 as a Researcher. At Edge Dana’s main areas of interest are in further education, vocational education and training, understanding good practice across all levels of education and labour skills shortages across the UK.
Current research projects
- Beacon awards: Where are they now?
- Online learning in FE colleges in an island context in collaboration with University of Nottingham. September 2020 – September 2021
- Green skills in the construction sector: building back better? In collaboration with SKOPE (University of Oxford). February 2021 – October 2021
- Virtual employer encounters and work experiences during the pandemic
- Emms, K., Laczik, A., Dabbous, D. (2020). A journey to employment for young people with additional needs. September 2020. London: The Edge Foundation.
- Dabbous, D., Emms, K. (2020). Education Technology in Further Education Colleges: How are colleges integrating digital technologies into their practice? The Edge Foundation. July 2020.
- Edge Foundation (2020). The Impact of Covid-19 on Education: evidence on the early impacts of lockdown. London: Edge Foundation.
- Dabbous, D., Patel,R., Percy,C. (2020). Our Plan for Further Education. Edited by: Newton, O., Laczik, A., and Emms, K. London: The Edge Foundation.
- Dabbous, D. (2019). Critical inquiry into the education for refugee and migrant pupils: the construction of primary teachers' practices in one city in Scotland. (Doctoral dissertation, University of Edinburgh).
- Dabbous, D. (2017). The Role of Citizenship Education for Non-citizens. Citizenship Education Research Journal/Revue de recherche sur l'éducation à la citoyenneté, 6(1), 68-77.
- Dabbous, Dana. A Framework for Globalisation in Education to promote Lifelong Learning. INTED2015 Proceedings (2015): 75-81.
Other Professional Activities
- Convener of Edge’s Emerging Researchers Network (add link)