Dana began her career in Education in Beirut, Lebanon as a primary school teacher teaching in the IB primary years programme. Alongside her teaching, she worked at a local NGO integrating refugees into the Lebanese curriculum. In 2014, Dana moved to the UK to pursue her Master’s degree at The University of Cambridge focusing on education policy across England and place-based education.
Subsequently she completed her PhD at the University of Edinburgh in the field of refugee education. Dana joined the Edge Research and Policy team in 2019 as a Researcher. At Edge Dana’s main areas of interest are in further education, vocational education and training, understanding good practice across all levels of education and labour skills shortages across the UK.
- Online learning in FE colleges in an island context. In collaboration with University of Nottingham. January 2020 – February 2022
- Degree Apprenticeships in England December 2021 – December 2022
Externally funded completed research projects
- The Impact of Winning College Awards: a review of winners of the Edge-Sponsored AoC Beacon Award for Excellence in Real World Learning. July 2021. Funded by AoC and Edge Foundation
Other professional engagement/activities
Publications and Reports
- Dabbous, D. and Samuels, J. (2021). The Impact of Winning College Awards: a review of winners of the Edge Sponsored AoC Beacon Award for Excellence in Real World Learning. London: Edge Foundation.
- Emms, K., Laczik, A. & Dabbous, D. (2021). Rethinking higher education: Case studies for the 21st Century. London: Edge Foundation
- Emms, K., Laczik, A., Dabbous, D. (2020). A journey to employment for young people with additional needs. September 2020. London: The Edge Foundation.
- Dabbous, D., Emms, K. (2020). Education Technology in Further Education Colleges: How are colleges integrating digital technologies into their practice? The Edge Foundation. July 2020.
- Edge Foundation (2020). The Impact of Covid-19 on Education: evidence on the early impacts of lockdown. London: Edge Foundation.
- Dabbous, D., Patel,R., Percy,C. (2020). Our Plan for Further Education. Edited by: Newton, O., Laczik, A., and Emms, K. London: The Edge Foundation.
- Dabbous, D. (2019). Critical inquiry into the education for refugee and migrant pupils: the construction of primary teachers' practices in one city in Scotland. (Doctoral dissertation, University of Edinburgh).
- Dabbous, D. (2017). The Role of Citizenship Education for Non-citizens. Citizenship Education Research Journal/Revue de recherche sur l'éducation à la citoyenneté, 6(1), 68-77.
- Dabbous, Dana. A Framework for Globalisation in Education to promote Lifelong Learning. INTED2015 Proceedings (2015): 75-81.
Selected conference presentations
- Education & Employers Conference. Developing online learning in vocational education in small island context of the British Isles. July 2021
- International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED) : Adopting education technology to promote an empowered digital community in further education colleges. March 2020